It’s with great sadness that we make this announcement. Earlier this year we heard whispers of an exciting project by EMI Records to celebrate and commemorate Dame Shirley Bassey’s upcoming birthday.
EMI own recordings from Bassey’s most successful era as a recording artist and despite the record label’s much reported financial difficulties, had invested significantly in unearthing and digitally remastering unheard Bassey material to produce an exciting new 3 CD set.
The track-listing and CD cover are below and will no doubt have Bassey fans everywhere salivating! It was provisionally scheduled for release on January 8th, the date of Dame Shirley’s 75th birthday.
Sadly we are now reliably informed that the CD had to be shelved due to a legal objection from DSB. We sent an email to Dame Shirley Bassey’s lawyer but are yet to receive any comment or statement.
As we think about what gifts to get our loved ones this Christmas and after very careful consideration we decided that as this compilation would have been top of every Bassey fan’s wishlist it is our moral obligation to share this news with all our fellow fans today.
01. I’ve Got A Song For You (1966)
02. Shirley (1966)
03. Never, Never, Never (1973)
04. For All We Know (1972)
05. Till Love Touches Your Life (1971)
06. When You Smile (1975)
07. Moonraker (1979)
08. And I Love You So (1972)
09. I (Who Have Nothing) (1966) (Alternative Version Unreleased on CD)
10. Fool On The Hill (1970)
11. Light My Fire (1970)
12. Something (1970)
13. My Way (1970)
14. Goldfinger (1964) (From Soundtrack EP 1965)
15. If You Go Away (1967)
16. Burn My Candle (1967)
17. The Liquidator (1966)
18. La Vita (1968) (Italian Chorus)
19. Kiss Me Honey, Honey Kiss Me (1967)
20. As I Love You (1967)
21. Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
22. Big Spender (1967) (US Version)
23. The Greatest Performance Of My Life (1972)
01. Look For Me Tomorrow (I’ll Be Gone) (1967)
02. I Write The Songs (1976) (Previously Unreleased)
03. Without A Word (1968)
04. Everything I Own (1973) (New Mix)
05. Why Can’t I Cry? (1968) (Previously Unreleased)
06. I’m Not Anyone (1974)
07. Night Moves (1979)
08. Vivo Di Diamanti (1971) (Italian Version)
09. My Liquidator (1966) (Film Version)
10. Because You’re Mine (1968) (Previously Unreleased)
11. Runaway (1976) (Previously Unreleased on CD)
12. Ease On Down The Road (1976) (Previously Unreleased)
13. Copacabana (1979) (US Release) (Previously Unreleased on CD)
14. It’s Always 4 am (1969)
15. Moonraker (Disco) (1979) (End Title) (Not Commonly on Bassey CDs)
16. If I Should Love Again (1972)
17. Where Is Love? (1972)
18. I Got Lost In His Arms (1962) (Previously Unreleased)
19. Until It’s Time For You To Go (1971)
20. The Singer (1973) (Previously Unreleased)
21. I Believe in Music (1973) (Previously Unreleased)
22. Don’t You Pass Me By (1968) (Previously Unreleased)
Shirley Bassey Live at The Royal Albert Hall 1973
With Arthur Greenslade and Orchestra
(Previously Unreleased Album Including Unbroadcast Material)
01. Goldfinger Fanfare
02. Where Am I Going?
04. And I Love You So
05. Let Me Sing and I’m Happy
06. I’d like To Hate Myself in the Morning
07. Make the World a Little Younger (Previously Unbroadcast)
08. Going, Going, Gone (Previously Unbroadcast)
09. Without You
11. Day By Day
12. Never, Never, Never
13. Somehow (Previously Unbroadcast Version)
14. Greatest Performance of my Life
15. This Is My Life
16. The Party’s Over (Previously Unbroadcast)
17. Something (Previously Unbroadcast)
The video below shows “Somehow” as broadcast on BBC TV New Year’s Day 1974. The new CD featured a digitally remastered recording of this song where the end lyric is performed like the studio version.
United Artists recorded this and an alternative show with intention of releasing but in the end only Live At Carnegie Hall saw the light of day.
The comments are open below if you’d like to. Please note that comments containing swear words are automatically rejected!
The Bassey Blog Team